
Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy said he will brief lawmakers on Capitol Hill next week about the temporary closure of airspace around El Paso, Texas, earlier this month.
Duffy told reporters Friday that he stands by the Federal Aviation Administration’s decision, despite the controversy that followed the action.
Was it a mistake to close the airspace? A reporter asked during a press conference in Washington on an unrelated topic, to which Duffy replied: “No.”
RELATED: Drones, Drugs, Laser Beams Spread Confusion Over Texas Skies
The FAA imposed restrictions on the flights, which drew a strong response from local authorities and were initially intended to last for 10 days on February 10, but were lifted the next day.
Administration officials, including Duffy, said the shutdown occurred because drones belonging to Mexican drug cartels violated U.S. airspace.
The FAA is concerned about the Department of Homeland Security’s use of the military’s counter-drone laser system and the potential security implications for nearby civilian aircraft, other people familiar with the incident said. He said the operation of the system was not coordinated with the FAA.
On Friday, Duffy denied that there was a lack of communication between the agencies involved. When asked about the veracity of his initial statement about the Mexican drug cartel drone breach, he said: “I use the information I get.”
Duffy declined to provide more information about the event, saying he wanted to discuss the matter first with members of Congress who have requested a confidential briefing.
“I think we have to talk to Hill before we talk to you,” he told reporters.
Top photo: Secretary of Transportation Sean Duffy. Bloomberg.
Copyright 2026 Bloomberg.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
The most important insurance news, in your inbox every business day.
Get the trusted insurance industry newsletter.
